The Basics of Trail Running - Wisconsin
Time & Location
About The Event
This weekend is designed for casual runners looking to transition into the world of trail running. We will be camping at Hartman's Creek State Park in Waupaca Wisconsin which gives us direct access to the majestic Ice Age Trail as well as trails located inside the park. Kim will be leading informative sessions about the nuances of trail running and leading group runs throughout the weekend. Our goal is to share knowledge and help build confidence to get you out running your local trails!
All paces welcome! Trail miles tend to be slower-paced and we plan to accommodate the needs of all guests- no one left behind! Radios will be carried and our van will be readily available to shuttle you if necessary. Gear rental is available if needed (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.)
We will also have kayaks on site for you to use during this event!
• Trail conditions/etiquette
Time and Location:
Friday, July 9th - 5 pm - Sunday, July 11th - 12 pm.
Hartman's Creek State Park.
Waupaca, Wisconsin 54981
- Set up camp
- Lecture Session 1 (fueling, gear, safety, trail etiquette, and route planning)
- Breakfast (provided)
- Long Run: Plan to start early due to the July heat! Run approximately 6-8 miles along the Ice Age Trail. Options to run shorter or longer with our True North Van being available at road crossings for pick up, as well as water resupply and support. No need to worry about being fast or falling behind- use this day to find your groove on the trail! Relax and take in the views- Walking encouraged. Expect hilly terrain.
- AM Debrief
- Lecture Session 2 (Stretching, recovery, and training)
- Optional Shake out run
- Recreating- The park has a nice lake and beach. Our kayaks will be available for use.
- Breakfast (provided)
- Optional run (approximately 3-5 miles).
- Closing/Weekend Recap
Please bring what you will prefer for lunch on Saturday and dinners on Friday and Saturday. We will have car camping (you will have access to your car). Meals will be informal, taking place as a community around a fire on our campsites.
The following meals will be provided:
- Friday: Snacks/Charcuterie
- Saturday: Breakfast, Snacks/Charcuterie
- Sunday: Breakfast
We will also have a cooler with bottled water, sports drinks, tea, kombucha, and diet/regular soda available. Let us know your preferences for snacks and drinks and we will stock it for you!
Members are responsible for obtaining their own gear, or gear rental (for camping) can be rented by selecting the “Admission w/ gear rental” ticket option.
Required gear for running:
- Running shoes (trail runners encouraged but not necessary)
- Short sleeve/sleeveless moisture-wicking top
- Running shorts or capris- moisture-wicking, comfortable material
- Lightweight, breathable running socks. 2-3 pairs.
- Chosen hydration system (water belt, handheld water bottle, camelback, etc.)*
- Running cap or visor
- Lightweight, breathable rain jacket
*For safety we will require that all runners carry water.
Tip! Avoid cotton-based clothing. July in WI tends to be hot and humid. Pick clothing that is breathable to avoid uncomfortable chafing. This will be helpful if we encounter rain as well. Please reach out for any questions regarding gear!
All True North Expeditions staff are certified in First Aid/CPR and Wilderness First Aid. Guides are experienced with wilderness and outdoor travel and are equipped with GPS and Satellite phones when necessary.
We ask that guests refrain from bringing alcohol, illegal drugs, or weapons of any kind (excluding pocket knife use for on the trail).
The ticket price includes camping at Hartman’s Creek State Park Friday and Saturday night, meals listed above, guided runs, and informational sessions.
Attendees will need to purchase a Wisconsin State Park day or annual pass.
Cancellations less than 7 days from the date of the event will receive a 50% refund. Cancellations made more than 7 days prior to the end will receive a full refund, minus a 5% service fee. A refund will be issued in the form of a check. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing, we will notify you when the refund has been issued. Additional information will be emailed to you after registering.
True North Expeditions, Inc. reserves the right to substitute the events listed in the description above in the event of inclement weather, availability, or other uncontrollable events.
- Trail Running Clinic Admission$281$2810$0
- Admission with Gear Rental$406$4060$0