Isle Royale Backpacking Trip
Time & Location
About The Event
“Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.” - Unknown
Some places are hard to get to, and that can be a good thing. Accessible only by ferry or seaplane or personal watercraft, Isle Royale, located on an island in the middle of Lake Superior north of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, offers Alaska-like solitude and a badge of honor for Midwesterners in search of unique hiking experiences. The remoteness of Isle Royale National Park makes it one of America’s least-visited, and we think that makes it even more special. Let True North Expeditions take on the daunting work of planning a backpacking trip to Isle Royale for you.
Your ticket price will include transportation from predetermined locations, lodging in Grand Portage, and round-trip transportation to Isle Royale. Your total gear weight must not exceed 40 lbs.
For general information about Isle Royale National Park, please visit this link.
A registration deadline will be set for this event. All boat tickets must have a name attached to them, we can not purchase them in bulk. This means that in order to ensure everyone is on the same boat for arrival at the locations our permits indicate, we must purchase our boat tickets well in advance before they fill up.
We will have 2 groups on the island backpacking at the same time, each taking a different route across the island beginning at Rock Harbor and ending at Windigo. This trip will be limited to 13 clients, one group of 8 and the second group of 9. Each group will have 2 guides assigned to it.
Group 1 - 46.3 miles total
Aug 21 - 2.7 miles - Start at Rock Harbor / Camp @ Threemile
Aug 22 - 10.2 miles - Threemile / Camp @ Lake Richie
Aug 23 - 6.3 miles - Lake Richie / Camp @ McCargoe Cove
Aug 24 - 8 miles - McCargoe Cove / Camp @ Hatchet Lake
Aug 25 -12.5 miles - Hatchet Lake / Camp @ Island Mine
Aug 26 - 6.6 miles - Arrive at Washington Creek - Depart from Windigo
Group 2 - 42 miles total
Aug 21 - 0 miles - Start at Rock Harbor/ Camp @ Rock Harbor
Aug 22 - 10.8 miles - Rock Harbor / Camp @ Moskey Basin
Aug 23 - 12.9 miles - Moskey Basin / Camp @ Hatchet Lake
Aug 24 - 7.3 miles - Hatchet Lake / Camp @ S. Desor Lake
Aug 25 - 11 miles - S. Desor Lake / Camp @ Washington Creek
Aug 26 - Depart from Windigo
We have a few different ticket options for this event.
- Admission-Double Occupancy Hotel. Ticket price $1011.45. This ticket price includes transportation from a predetermined location in the Midwest, 2 nights of double occupancy lodging at the Grand Portage Casino Hotel, all permits and camping fees, round trip transportation to Isle Royale via boat, and access to a satellite phone while on Isle Royale.
- Admission-Single Occupancy Hotel. The ticket price is $1162.81. This ticket price includes transportation from a predetermined location in the Midwest, 2 nights of lodging in a private room at the Grand Portage Casino Hotel, all permits and camping fees, round trip transportation to Isle Royale via boat, and access to a satellite phone while on Isle Royale.
- Admission-No Lodging. The ticket price is $821.85. This ticket price includes all permits, round trip transportation to Isle Royale via boat, and access to a satellite phone while on Isle Royale.
- Gear Rental. The ticket price is $425. This ticket includes gear rental for one person and includes all of the items listed below. We will contact you with a list of additional required gear prior to the start of the trip. Gear Rental includes a backpack, 1 or 2 person tent, Sleeping bag, Sleeping pad, Sleeping pillow, Backpacking stove, water filter, trowel, Ursack food storage bag, headlamp, and trekking poles.
Pick-up from Grand Marais Airport is also available (KCKC, 123 Airport Rd, Grand Marais, MN 55604). Participants are expected to bring all meals and backpacking equipment for this trip (a detailed list will be provided).
All True North Expeditions staff are certified in Wilderness First Aid/CPR. This event will also have one paramedic/EMT-B assigned to each group. Our guides are experienced in wilderness and outdoor travel and are equipped with GPS and satellite phones during every portion of this event.
No refunds will be issued for cancellations less than 7 days from the date of the event. All other cancellations are subject to a 50% service fee. A refund will be issued in the form of a check. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing, we will notify you when the refund has been issued.
True North Expeditions, Inc. reserves the right to substitute the events listed in the description above in the event of inclement weather, availability, or other uncontrollable events.
- Admission-Double Occupancy$1,011.45$1,011.450$0
- Admission-Single Occupancy$1,162.81$1,162.810$0
- Gear Rental$425$4250$0